Virtual Fire Forum 2020
Applying Fire Science for a Brighter Future
: Tuesday 23; Wednesday 24 and Thursday 25 June 2020
: 10.30 – 12.00 (AEST) each day
This IFA/AFG’s Virtual Fire Forum is designed to unpackage the latest forest fire science and best practice forest fire management. The Forum will discuss how we can adapt and respond to the challenges of a changing climate as well as catastrophic bushfires, in order to move towards a brighter future for Australians, our flora and fauna and our forests.
RFP CPD hours
Session One: Review of the 2019/2020 fire season
Tuesday 23 June 10:30am– 12:00pm AEST
Session Chair: Bob Gordon
Introduction and summary of the fire season, Honorary Associate Professor Kevin Tolhurst AM
- Case Study: Victoria and NSW Plantations impacted by fire, Ruth Ryan & Tim McGuffog
- Case Study: Kangaroo Island, SA,Gary Featherston
- Case Study: Queensland, Craig Welden
- Case Study: Recovery in NSW, Euan Ferguson
Session Two: Emerging technologies & science to support fire management
Wednesday 24 June, 10:30am - 12:00pm AEST
Session Chair: Michelle Freeman
Session Three: What can land and fire managers do in working towards meeting the national policy’s strategic objectives?
- Fire Danger Rating System, Stuart Matthews
- Emerging technologies, Peter Woodgate & Eva Rodriguez
- Application of recent technologies in supporting fire management, Andy Ackland
- Remote fire detection, Stefan Peters
- Use of IT to best determine travel time to fires, Owen Salkin
Thursday 25 June 10:30am – 12:00pm AEST
Session Chair: Neil Cooper
For more information about the speakers, their biographies are listed below.
- Effectively Managing the Land with Fire, Kevin Tolhurst
- Involved and Capable Communities, Geoff Morris
- Strong Land, Fire and Emergency Partnerships and Capability, Craig Welden
- Actively and Adaptively Managing Risk, Rob Caddell
IFA/AFG member: $40
Student member: $15
Registration closes: Friday 19 June
- Registration will provide access to all three sessions.
- For those who cannot participate live in all the sessions, everyone who registers for the virtual Fire Forum will receive a link to the recording to view later.
- When you register, please provide the email address that you will use to access the virtual Forum.
Click here to register
With thanks to the following Sponsors for their support
There are additional sponsorship opportunities available, please contact email@example.com for more information
PDF of presentations
- Session one
- Session two
Click here to view Speakers
PDF of presentations:
- Session 1; Session 2; Session 3