About Forestry Australia
Forestry Australia formerly known as The Institute of Foresters of Australia (IFA) and Australian Forest Growers (AFG) is a professional association with approximately 1,000 members. Our members are forest scientists, professionals, managers and growers operating in all aspects of forest and natural resource management throughout Australia.
We advocate for and provide professional development to ensure balanced, integrated forested land use, as well as sustainable management that meets community and environmental needs.
Forestry Australia is registered nationally as a Company Limited by Guarantee operating under a Constitution.
Learn more about Forestry Australia membership or view the member list.
As a volunteer-led organisation, and as part of our 2000–2022 Strategic Plan, Forestry Australia aims to:
- support best practice tree growing and forest management by providing high quality member services, education, professional development opportunities and resources
- promote the value and knowledge of forest science and forestry professionals
- increase awareness and community recognition of tree and forest growth and management
- create a large and broad membership and community
- ensure Forestry Australia is well governed, sustainable and financially secure
Forestry Australia History
Forestry Australia was previously known as The Institute of Foresters of Australia & Australian Forest Growers (IFA & AFG). The IFA was created in 1935 as the professional membership body for people trained in forest science (foresters).
Forestry Australia has always aimed to advance and protect the cause of forestry. We promote professional standards and ethical forest practice, and produce educational, marketing and other materials.
Established in 1969 as the Australian Forest Development Institute, the AFG is a national association that represents and promotes private forestry, farm forestry and commercial tree growing interests in Australia. AFG members grow trees for commercial, environmental and farm productivity gain, as well as simply for the joy of it.