Forestry Australia has developed the Forest Fundamentals Online Learning Program providing an introduction to forestry specific subjects.
Forest Fundamentals is available free of charge to members.
The program features 15 forestry experts presenting over 35 videos as well as additional resource guides on themes such as forest values, active management, forest monitoring and evaluation and social values of forestry.
In 2021, Forestry Australia consulted with employers and several senior foresters. The sector told us that there is a notable knowledge gap within the Australian forest sector. Forest growers are recruiting graduates with environmental science or agriculture qualifications, who are well-qualified in their field, but they lack some fundamental forestry knowledge.
In response to this feedback, Forestry Australia developed this program to:
- Provide forestry-specific information targeting recent graduates and new entrants to the forestry sector.
- Build the sector’s capacity with practical forestry knowledge, targeting subjects that are not easily or currently available.
- Capture and make available the extensive knowledge of Forestry Australia members and subject matter experts.
- Assist companies when introducing new forestry concepts to staff or with onboarding of new staff.
- Create an easily and conveniently access the resource.
Feedback on the program includes:
A great range of topics that will be helpful introductions to forestry graduates and as a review for more experienced people.
Videos are a great insight for those who just discovered forestry.
I think the complexity of the information presented really demonstrates the vast array of forest values and how they must be considered.
Excellent list for additional reading